Are you ready to become a Wedding Trendsetter?
For any of you that are regular followers of the Academy you’ll know that each year in January we release the International Wedding Trend Report that has now beome known as the ‘trend bible’ for those in the wedding industry.
The 2019 report will be released on Friday January 4th and you can register for your FREE copy to be delivered straight to your Inbox by clicking right here.
As a wedding professional your clients come to you because you’re an expert and can come up with ideas and concepts that they simply can’t.
Bridal clients want someone who is a Wedding Trendsetter not a Trend Follower and that is something we teach our students here at the Academy.
But how do you put that into practice and become a Wedding Trendsetter?
Taking a trend and transcending that into the design of a wedding is about putting your own unique spin on that trend to tell the story of your client.
Not all trends are created equal and not all trends will work for every client. However, it is your job as the expert to know what those trends are and give examples of how those trends could be incorporated into a design.
To help you we are giving you a sneak peek of two trends we believe are going to be big in 2019. One has come straight off the catwalk and the other has a Royal influence.
Our first pick, and again we’re leaking this to you early, is a trend we’re calling Eco Conscious. It’s inspired by the two Royal Weddings we had this year. First Meghan and Harry with their ”foam free’ florals and then Princess Eugenie and her ‘no plastic’ request.
To create an environmentally conscious design think about using ‘upcycled’ elements and mismatched antiques, recycled paper stationery and seasonal florals and foliage. Repurposed glassware and candlesticks and biodegradable materials and reusable décor are all things to consider too.
Next up is Shimmer & Shine, a personal favourite of mine. As I mentioned above this story is straight off the 2019 Bridal catwalk with its shimmery sequins, fabrics, embellishment and beading that is set to be so big for next year’s brides.
Now we’re definitely not talking sequin tablecloths here, oh no. We’re thinking more mirrored elements such as furniture and tableware, more metal in the form of glassware, pewter chargers and serving dishes, candlelight, edible glitter, and metallic foiled stationery.
Are you ready to take part in the Wedding Trendsetter Challenge and become a Wedding Trendsetter?
As you know we LOVE Instagram here at the Academy and so do most of your Bridal Clients, so as with our last Challenge featuring the Pantone Spring 2019 Colours we will once again be using Instagram as our platform of choice.
The big question really is what do you have to do?
Well, we want you to be a wedding trendsetter by choosing one of the two trends we’ve released, either Eco Conscious or Shimmer & Shine, and creating an inspiration board using images that best reflect how you would incorporate that trend into the design of a wedding.
The aim of this challenge is to help you become more confident when working with trends and incorporating those trends into the design of your weddings. And I’m so excited to see what you come up with.
But who will be judging your work and ultimately choosing the winning board?
I think we need a drum roll here because you’re work will be judged by none other than someone who is quite literally a superstar in our industry, David Tutera.
As most of you will know David has created a name for himself by taking his passion for designing spectacular events and transforming it into a lifestyle. He continuously exceeds the expected with an unmatched level of inspiration, imagination and innovation to create the latest trends in entertaining.
The team at the Academy will pick the 10 finalists from the boards submitted and David will then go through each board and pick just one winner. This is your chance to have your work critiqued by one of the best in the industry.
How to Become a Wedding Trendsetter:
- You must register to enter the challenge by clicking here… and you will also receive our 7 Point Checklist for Creating an Inspiration Board
- Inspiration boards must be created in Canva:
- Click on create a design – then select the free Instagram post template – from the left toolbar select elements – from the top row select grids – pick any grid with 5 or more image spaces – the layout is completely up to you – upload your images and drag and drop them into your board.
- All boards must include a title that includes the name of the trend you’ve chosen. To add a title select Text from the left menu – click add heading – use the font Playlist Script and a font size of 36.
- Please only use one Trend per board
- Boards must be downloaded as a JPEG or PNG file.
- Register here for the challenge and receive your free checklist
- All entries must be posted on Instagram
- You MUST tag @WeddingAcademyLive and use the hashtag #WeddingTrendsetterChallenge in your post
- All images must be credited – Format to be used: Image Credit: PHOTOGRAPHER/ BUSINESS NAME found via WEBSITE.
- You can submit as many entries as you wish, do a board for both trends if you’re up for the challenge!
Deadline for entries is midnight on the 25th of November 2018. On Monday the 26th of November, we will announce the 10 finalists with the final winner announced on Monday the 3rd of December.
ENTER OUR INSTAGRAM CHALLENGE